Tuesday, February 11, 2014

An ADHD Adventure...




ADD and ADHD, each can be seen as a curse, a disability, a blessing, or simply an adventure.
Our family has decided to see it as an adventure. Yes, this adventure often resembles a de-railing  freight train, but still, it's an adventure! And like all families with children, we have our good days and our not-so-good days.

I won't go into the long details, but a few years ago we, I, finally admitted, (hubby knew for a long time, I just took awhile longer to admit that he was right) that we have a child who has been blessed with ADHD. Yes, I say blessed, because I don't believe God curses anyone. I believe that we are given the opportunity to take our life and all the baggage, and make something of it, and to show others just what God sent us here for!

I know that each child with ADD or ADHD has a very different life. Some children are much more affected by their add/adhd than other children, and some are far more limited in their abilities than others due to add/adhd or other.

In our case, we have a wonderful young boy, who at 9 years old is incredibly busy, smart, very compassionate, and has an amazing imagination. On the other hand, he has a difficult time sitting still or focusing on school work. He is often distracted by noise, light, movement, or the thought that he might me missing something. He also has struggled with reading and writing for a long time.
Though this last few months he has improved greatly in his reading ability, and now will read...for fun! Previously, it was like pulling teeth to get him to read, and he could only get a few lines in before he was so frustrated that he'd give up. But slowly, we found ways to help him focus and to not have to work so hard to read. We worked, and worked, and worked together to read more and more, until finally he was comfortable reading on his own. Now, after his hard work, and finding a book that interested him, he is reading a large, for him, book and his confidence has soared.

Another area of struggle for him, is writing. He is able to write but has a very difficult time getting thoughts from his brain onto paper, he also has a hard time with spelling which adds frustration. What we have done to help, is when he is going to write something, I often will write, in his words, what he is to write on a small dry erase board. He then will copy that onto his paper. It really helps him get everything onto the paper. Otherwise, his mind is so busy that what he wanted to say, is long gone before he gets it written on the paper.

Today, he surprised me and reminded me just why I love homeschooling. His handwriting has always been rough, another struggle for him. Yet, today he was beginning a letter to his new pen-pal, and he worked so hard to make his writing neat and uniform. His letter looked wonderful! I was so proud of how hard he worked and how neat his handwriting was! I made sure to let him know how great he did. The best part was watching him smile at his own work, and show me each letter that he felt he wrote well. It was nice to see him have such pride in his work.

When children struggle with things like reading and writing, it's incredibly important to point out that which they do well, and to help them see how their hard work has paid off!


In our home, we have re-named ADHD from
Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder to:
 
          A- amazing ability to  
D- do, see, learn, and
 H- handle all things
 D- differently
 
 


6 comments:

  1. My ADHD son has the same issue (organizing thoughts on paper, handwriting, spelling). He is 12 now and I see mostly conventional spelling in his work. It took him about three years old longer than most kids to use conventional spelling. There are still a good amount of spelling errors, but they aren't sight words anymore - the errors are more words that aren't high-frequency. He had trouble with sight words when he began reading, but after that hurdle, he read well. I believe it was 8 years old when he could read independenly with fluency. Now he is an avid reader and can read beyond his grade. So I believe you will see that too. Is your son's handwriting also too large? Even after my son could print neatly (for him) that didn't solve the size problem. He cannot use college-ruled paper at all, and still needs 2-3 grade lined paper. I do not know how to get him to use smaller, conventional lines, but I am assuming it will come. I suppose occupational therapy would help, if it came down to that. He can do cursive, but not well and he hates it. The three issues together (spelling, handwriting, organizing thoughts) are together called dysgraphia. It is a processing disorder, but my son never had any special education. Time and patience has been the fixer, but we still struggle with the organizing thoughts on paper, and the size of printing. Homeschooling is such a blessing because in school, he might have been tagged as special needs, and who wants that label? I don't give any labels to his difficulties, and when he compares himself to his brother, I keep reiterating that God gives us different gifts, and that when we struggle, it gives birth to compassion, rather than pride. My other son, who doesn't have any academic struggle, is prideful about his progress, even though he has learned to check that pride after promptings from the Holy Spirit. I think he may struggle with pride all his life, since things come easy for him.

    I think there are many gifts to ADHD, because the kids I have known that have it are interested in many things and are very bright. They can also be leaders and are fun and engaging. I pray we will all hear a clear message from God as to what area of life my son is to put his greatest energy. My husband has the same issues and he went to Bible college to be a pastor, but that didn't come to pass (too many details, for one thing) and he was discouraged that he put so much work into an area that didn't work for his gifts. My husband said he thought he heard a clear okay from God (a calling) about ministry, but it just didn't work out. He is 55 now. I just don't want our son to live with that same discouragement, and to feel frustrated by not liking what he does for a living (custodial work). My husband chose a career path on his own, without parental support (mother died at 16 and father wasn't very involved in his kids' lives), so maybe my son, with parental support, can get closer to what God really wants for a vocation. I know we aren't to worry about the future, but it is hard sometimes to let it go.

    God gave your son the exact parents he needed. :) You are wonderful with him, I can tell. I am a nervous, sensitive person and sometimes I feel like I am a poor match for my son. God's grace will fill in my gaps, I pray.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great article and I'm sure he will do wonderful eventually, even with the writing but typing may be the way to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is doing well and I know he will just continue to do better. He's to stubborn and smart not to. He is just going to have a different way of doing things. And I like that! It's good when one looks at things differently than others, they are the ones who create new things and come up with inventions that change the way we do things!
      He's going to be fun to watch grow! I may be hanging on by a string by the time he's an adult, but it will have been one amazing journey!

      Delete
  3. Agh, I just had a nice long reply to your comment and some how I just erased it! Computers!
    Anyway, thank you so much for your kind comment!
    It's nice when one understands and is so supportive! I appreciate it!

    I can't remember everything I just wrote, but I did say that I think we are in a time when we such wonderful resources and supports for families with ADHD, and other children. The understanding of these things is so much more than years ago.
    I often read books on ADHD, and other issues, so that I can better understand and find ways to work with my son!

    I often wonder what God was thinking, as I worry that I am not going to be able to keep up with or teach my son everything he needs to know to succeed. But I also know that God gives us the children we were meant to have, and that He will guide us along the way!
    You are the best parents for you children. The love you have for your children and family pour out in your blog posts. I'm sure God is quite happy with the parents your children have!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, the longer I home school, and the older I get, the more I realise we are all different, we all have learning difficulties of sorts and we all have strengths and things we do with ease. I am certain, if it was diagnosable 30 years ago, I would have been ADHD. Even now I have a mind which never stops, never turns off and rarely stays in the same place for any length of time. I found it very hard to concentrate, write and order my thoughts when I was younger. Things improved when I turned 13ish.
    I think your attitude to look upon it as a blessing rather than a curse is spot on. Everything in life is a double edge sword, and attitude is everything! I view my mental hyperactivity and consequent lack of sleep as a blessing because it allows me such wonderful creativity. I think if I focused on just the lack of sleep and tiredness I would end up quite upset.
    Your son is thoroughly blessed to have such a wise and loving mummy.

    ReplyDelete