Weekly Wrap Up...
Do you ever feel like your life is a scene from the running of the bulls in Spain?
I do, well maybe not quite so dramatic. But there are days, weeks, and months that I do wonder when the whirlwind of craziness will stop. Then, I stop and remember that this whirlwind of craziness is our life. It's our normal.
So what's been going on in our life lately? A bit of everything!
In the home:
We spent a full week doing nothing and resting due to everyone being sick. The next week was spent trying to catch up on school work, housework, and all the other little things that went undone the week before. Laundry is no fun when it hasn't been done for a week. Even now, I feel like we are still playing catch up.
In our homeschool:
We have continued to learn about Colorado and mining. Our favorite so far has been reading a fictional story about a family making their way to Colorado City during the Colorado gold rush. The kids have enjoyed hearing the names of places they know and are familiar with as well as the little stories behind them.
We had planned to make a trip to the local mining museum this past week, yet due to the snow and cold temps, we decided to post-pone the trip until the weather warms up. A good part of the museum is outdoors and we would like to enjoy the visit without freezing.
The kids are also working with their grandma on building a model of a mining town. Using cardboard and items from around the house. They just recently started but have plans for quite the little town.
Here is the bit they have started so far.
A few little buildings, and the beginning of a water tower. I love that my mom is so open and happy to help out and involve herself in our homeschool journey.
In my life this week:
It has been another off week. The temps here have been below freezing, which means no outdoor playing for the kiddos. Which in turn means that mom is just about to pull out her hair! Our house is comfy but there is no extra space for the kids to run and really play, at least not without breaking something. So when we have a week or so when it's simply too cold to get outside, we all end up with cabin fever and desperately need to get out and run!
With all this indoor time, I have been trying to go through and clean out our school stuff. We have tons and tons of "school stuff". And, oh my goodness, the books we have could start a small library. I'm not even sure why we go to the library, we have our own private one here at home. Eight different bookshelves of different sizes overloaded with books, books, and more books!
So far all this cleaning out is resulting in a lot of moving things around and not getting rid of nearly enough! I keep telling hubby that we need to sell everything, move into an RV, and travel. He's not interested in that idea at all...yet! I'm not giving up, just working it slowly. Wish me luck!
Homeschool fun club:
Awhile back, after not finding a homeschool group that worked for us, we decided to start one of our own. This summer we had a few families that would meet with us and enjoy an afternoon together.
Simply by word-of-mouth and a table at our library homeschool resource day, our fun club now has 43 families. I figured we'd end up with a handful of homeschool families that were willing to join our group and meet for fun events or tours, but I didn't expect our group to grow the way it has.
It's been wonderful though. We usually meet two to three times a month, and we have enjoyed quite a few events with these families. In the last few months we have enjoyed nature walks, toured a police station (kids even had their finger prints done and climbed on a SWAT vehicle), had a costume Halloween party at a park, spent a few afternoons at the roller skating rink, toured a local museum, enjoyed game nights at our library in a private room just for our group, gone to the art museum, and enjoyed some very simple play dates at the park. For February, we will be enjoying another game night, a tour to the humane society, and another night roller skating.
I'm known for jumping into things a little too quickly and often saying, "yes" to far more than I should, but this is one of those things I'm glad I just jumped in and started. It has been wonderful for the kiddos and myself.
Looking forward:
At the moment, I am really trying to not look too far ahead. I am trying, though not always successfully, to focus on today. At the moment we have nothing big planned or expected in the near future, thankfully. Yet, we do have a special little boy who will be turning the 6 in just under two weeks. Yes, my baby boy is going to officially be a big boy. He says he has been a big boy for a long time, but mama is just not ready to admit it just yet.
The growing kiddos:
My daughter, who is still my baby girl, is nearly 13 and growing way too fast. I am not sure I'm ready for this teen stage and all the changes that are coming with it. But I am enjoying watching her grow and change into such a beautiful young lady.
She has grown, or seemed to have grown, so much in the last few weeks. She is now babysitting and volunteering at our library once a week. As hard as it is to accept that my baby girl is no longer a baby, it's pretty awesome as well. I am enjoying watching her grow and take on more responsibility and yet keep her sweet and playful personality.
Wild Thing, my busy, busy boy! I love that boy so much and wonder at times, if God really thought I could keep up with him and teach him all he needs to know. Because I'm not too sure. I have learned so much from just being his mom. He has taught me to look beyond what we see and find an adventure in everything. He has taught me to really think outside the box, and that there is no such thing as teaching kids all the same way. He has taught me that being the one that's a little different or odd, is exactly what sets us apart and makes us pretty awesome people.
I'm supposed to be teaching him and yet, he is teaching me far more!
Praying for:
My grandma! I love her and have not been able to see her as much as I'd like. I pray for her each night and that she will be comfortable and know just how many love her!
A dear friend who is dealing with some incredibly tough stuff right now. I pray for God to guide her each day, and for her to have the strength and courage to deal with the stress and struggles.

No comments:
Post a Comment