We have officially started into our unit study on beautiful Colorado. So far not to bad. The kids weren't super excited at first but they have since found a few little tid bits they found interesting. It was nice to have all three kiddos learning together. Lady Bug, 11 years old, Wild Thing, 8 years old and Little Man, 4 years old.
In the morning we do our Bible story and practice a Bible verse together. The kids will usually draw a picture to go with the story or color from our Bible story coloring book while I read the story. Even Little Man listens in and works on a picture too. I have been amazed how much he remembers from our reading.
After Bible we start our unit study. Today I read bits and pieces from some Colorado books I picked up at the library. We labeled Colorado on our map, the kids each made a Colorado state flag, and Lady Bug had to list interesting facts about Colorado. Wild Thing colored a picture of the state fish and Little Man colored a picture of the state flower. All while talking more about our beautiful Colorado.
We read a little about the Anasazi Indians and how they lived in the cliff dwellings. The kids, especially Wild Thing, really want to see them himself. Mesa Verde has some beautiful cliff dwellings and we may take a trip down there this summer but for now we are going to take a trip to some much smaller but closer cliff dwellings. This year it's going to be about making our school as hands-on as possible, which means any time we can go see or do something to better our unit study, we will!
Although the kids were not thrilled to learn about Colorado at first, by the end of the morning they decided it wasn't too bad. They each had even picked something to share with daddy when he came home from work. And even though Colorado has been my only home, there were some interesting facts and tales I hadn't heard before. I am excited to see where this Colorado unit takes us.
In fact I am looking for some fun books for the kids that take place in or are about Colorado. If you know of any please leave a comment and let me know.
Colorado, one of my favorite geography and history areas in the United States. Such a rich old west and now modern sense of lifestyle that is hard to find anywhere else.
ReplyDeleteHome is where the heart is and what a great place to start them on.