Friday, January 25, 2013

Weekly Update...


Something New This Week:
This week we took a trip to a local ghost town attraction. The kids enjoyed a look at what life here in Colorado would have looked like 100 years ago. The wooden plank sidewalks, the very simple stores and supplies, the horse drawn carriages, and of course the saloons.


Something Old This Week:
No matter how I plan the week, life always decides to put its two cents in! So once again we had another crazy and hectic week. But not a bad week.


What Mama Said This Week:
Mama said, "Find your manners, and use them."
This week I think the manner's monster came to our house and stole the manners from my once sweet and polite children.


From The Mouth Of Kiddos:
Each day at least one of my kiddos say something that either drops my jaw, or leaves me laughing until tears roll down my face. This week while working on a new chore/commission chart for the kids, I asked them for their thoughts on what chores they think they should earn money for. I was shocked when my oldest said she would take care of the dog doo in the back yard. Then of course she named what she thought was fair payment. That's when I fell to the floor laughing! It's funny to hear what a child thinks a chore is worth and what mom thinks a chore is worth. Wow, what a difference! A few digit difference!


Homeschool Thoughts:
I think that even though the last two weeks have not been the smoothest weeks, changing our "school style" to a more unit study based style has been a great move for us. Starting out with the plan to learn about Colorado history has turned into a desire to learn to pan for gold and the kids all wanting to go visit Mesa Verde Cliff Dwellings. We have enjoyed what we have learned and look forward to what will come.
Having a less "planned" study has allowed us to just enjoy learning and spending time together.



Homeschool Picture:
Wild Thing loves science!
So this week he decided to make, with a kit, a potato powered clock.
I was surprised to see that it really worked. Pretty cool!

Homeschool Tip Of The Week:
Sometimes letting go of such strict curriculum and schedule allows a family to just enjoy learning together.

Tech News:
I am learning to accept and at times encourage our tech "toys" like the ipad for learning. We have found some great games and apps that have been great educational resources for the kids. So, I am working on my "all video/device games kill brain cells" thoughts. I am now just trying to let them enjoy the devices within what I feel are good time limits.



Favorite Quote This Week:


Picture Of The Week:
I loved seeing the old cameras on our trip to the ghost town museum.
The thought of having to use one of those to capture a photo is amazing.
I am one who carries a small camera in my purse or pocket almost all the time.



Lesson for the week:
Life rarely goes as planned by us. But remembering that God has his own plan and own timing helps keep me going.


2 comments:

  1. Isn't History a great teacher? So glad they enjoyed traveling back through time at 'Ghost Town.'

    Science experiments are always a cool way to learn also. Glad the unit studies are going so well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll bet the kids would enjoy doing the Little House on the Prairie unit study. It's not all girly, and has many ideas to springboard from.

    ReplyDelete