A few years ago I decided to be much more open about our
homeschool journey. I posted more about our homeschooling on my blog, I shared
many of our adventures and things we have done on my Facebook page, and I
talked openly with all that asked or commented on our choice to homeschool.
I did so after spending the first years of our homeschool
journey worrying daily about what others thought and trying desperately to live
up to the standards of others. I tried to make our homeschool something others
would expect of a "good" homeschool family. But along the way I
realized I was spending too much of my time trying to appease others and accomplish
what I thought was expected instead of focusing on my kids, their needs, and
what truly worked best for them.
By opening up our homeschool journey to others I found that
not only did I have more confidence in what I was doing and the choice we made
to homeschool, but more people, family and friends, began to join in on the fun
and help us along the way.
Of course there are still many that do not share our view on
education and homeschooling, and that's ok, but I have felt that opening the
door to what we do and who we are has given those we know a better idea of what
homeschooling is, or least what it is for our family.
I have really enjoyed sharing our homeschool journey, as I
really do love and believe in what we are doing. I have greatly appreciated
when family and friends have offered their support, advice, encouragement, and
supplies or field trip ideas. I like to think that being more open about our
homeschooling and what we do, has given those we know another view on
homeschooling, and helped give positive thoughts and feelings when they think
about homeschoolers.
Everything I share about our homeschooling, I do so because
I like to share and of course as a mom, I love to show off my kids and what
they do. It is never meant to shove our choice in anyone's face or compare our journey
to another's. Everyone and each family needs to decide what is best for them
and their needs, their wants, and situation. Our way is just that, Our Way!

Your family is unique and you are providing unique experiences and learning opportunities for your children. I love it. Rjm
ReplyDeleteIt's so obvious that you are a Mom who cares and wants the best for your family. That's what really matters. I can feel for what it's like to make choices that many others would not. You are doing a good thing in just allowing others to see your family in a real light and see what works for you.
ReplyDelete