We have made quite a few changes in our
homeschool journey over the years. This is our 9th year
homeschooling and like most we started with a set curriculum and did
school-at-home. Each year I would change a few things to fit our needs better
and over the years I became more comfortable making my own lesson plans and
eventually planned most all the lessons, though I still used a math curriculum
for the kids and a few workbooks here and there to fill in or to get ideas
from. The last year or two we have moved into a very relaxed unit study style
of homeschool and it has done very well for us. Though in the last
few months we have felt burned out and in need of a change, and a break. It has
been a long rough year and we are now feeling the full effects of this last
year.
I have been feeling pulled or maybe lead to make a drastic change in how we homeschool. So after a lot of research, talking with hubby and the kids, and some more research, we are making the move to an unschooling style of homeschool. Though, I haven't figured out all the details of how this will work just yet. I want to embrace the unschooling life as much as I can. I’m afraid it may somewhat limited because of my personality, but we're going to give it a go anyway.
I'm not the best one to explain what unschooling is just yet as I am still researching and trying to figure out exactly how we will do this. I have found a few posts that explains unschooling quite well and a blog that has many wonderful posts on their unschooling adventures. The first link, “Zen Habits Unschooling” will take you to a great post that describes much of what we are looking and hoping for.
Zen Habits Unschooling
The Natural Child Project
Stories of an Unschooling Family
For a long time, I was too worried about having pages in a workbook filled out or having each and every single math or English lesson done. I was more concerned about making sure my school planner had enough “schoolish” assignments listed and checked off, and making sure we did enough to appease what others would expect a proper homeschool family to do. Even though, I knew it wasn’t what we needed to be doing.
Looking back, it was clear even then that the kids learned far more when we were out on one of our adventures, working on a hands-on activity, spending time with grandparents and great-grandparents, or reading about and exploring places the kids were interested in. Very few if any workbook assignments have been remembered, yet all three kiddos can tell you every detail of each of our adventures and stories we’ve read or activities and projects we’ve done. I’ve known this for a long time and have tried to adjust things as much as I thought was right. I have come to a point when the tears over a math lesson, or frustration with diagraming a sentence (not necessary until late high school or college level) and stress over concepts one is clearly not ready for, is not acceptable to me anymore. Homeschooling is not something we do between the hours of 8am and 3pm, it truly is a life style and when that lifestyle or something within that lifestyle begins to affect the family harmony and relationships and ability to move forward, a change is needed.
For us, that change is not giving up on homeschooling, it’s taking a step back and looking at the bigger picture. The bigger picture I see, is not a race or competition to finish on top or first. It’s the journey of exploration and learning how to learn and to love learning. This is why we are making the change. I want for my children to have an absolute love of learning and exploring, not a long list of memorized facts or formulas. I want them to be inspired to investigate and dig deeper into what they find interesting. I don’t want them to trudge through what a school book says they are required to do. I want for them to have the freedom to pursue what they wish, and to have the freedom, support, guidance, and resources to do so.
I am making a leap of faith into what I truly feel is right for all of us. Don’t tell, but I’m also keeping my fingers crossed in hopes that this journey I see play out in my head, will be everything I think it will be.
You’re welcome to join us on our journey as we jump in with both feet and see what happens.



Excited to keep reading and following your journey! I agree with everything you've written, but I have one child who simply cannot thrive without the daily expectations clearly delineated. And I don't have the extended time to structure days myself, ahead of time, with expectations and organized ventures and projects laid out so that the day still unravels with some semblance of structure.
ReplyDeleteWhen we have a day off, I encourage him to make a list of what he would like to accomplish that day, so that the structure of the list will help him behave and not wander around bugging his siblings and parents, seeking the stimulation his brain needs, and causing him to focus too much on his OCD thoughts, which are worse on days off. But alas, that hasn't worked. He views the list as suggestions, and wanders around anyway after a couple hours of productive play with building toys. He can handle half-days off fairly well.
Thankfully, he loves Sonlight so he doesn't complain about the packaged curriculum. I am training him to organize his Sonlight day himself because he will have to structure his own higher-education days and his own time as a worker someday.
Anyway, yours seem to thrive with this and I commend you for discerning what they need and working to create life-long learners! I know I will enjoy watching it all unfold.
We had a tough year here too, and I'm praying for progress on anxiety issues in 2015.
Sonlight was the first curriculum we bought, and still have, and I did love it. My oldest did as well, but it was such a change when my middle on joined in. But I'll admit that I have 4 or 5 cores and the books. I use the Sonlight lists of books most of the time, as they really are some of the best choices around. We've bounced back and forth using Sonlight, they do have it set up very well especially when a child needs the structure and routine.
DeleteI know quite a few others that do much better with set structure. That's why I love homeschool. Everyone is able to adjust what they need for each of their children. I laugh because I'm the one who needs the checklist and such, but at the same time I find that even though I feel better with a list, I will often feel trapped and crave the spontaneity. This is when I wonder if I'm just crazy.
Either way I guess this new chapter will be an interesting one, and like before what doesn't work for us we'll change and keep going.
Sorry to hear you have had a rough year as well. I remember some from your posts and I truly hope that 2015 brings peace and joy to you all.