Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Things I Never Expected In Our Homeschool Journey

Things I Never Expected In Our Homeschool Journey

1. To argue with an 8 year old boy about some dinosaur facts...only to find out he was right the entire time!

2. To learn right along with my kiddos.

3. To enjoy re-reading my favorite books as a child...over, and over, and over!

4. To spend entire days on the floor, stairway, or under the table (aka: fort) doing school work.

5. To learn enough about bugs, dinosaurs, and sharks, that I feel I could have a degree in animal science.

6. That watching my children read their first words would be so amazing that I would be reduced to tears!

7. That our mental health day trips (spur of the moment trips on days when school and life are just not working) would turn out to be some of our best memories.

8. That laundry, cooking dinner, visiting grandparents, camping, fishing, and enjoying a day at the museum, all count as learning!

9. Our time spent outdoors would be just as, if not more, important that the academic lessons.

10. I never imagined how my children would bond, as they spent each day together learning, arguing, playing, and loving each other.

11. The talks that my pre-teen daughter and I would have because of our choice to homeschool.

12. The enjoyment I would get out of teaching my children and watching them learn.

13. That I would have to earn a science degree to fulfill my 9 year old son's thirst for science.

14. The videos we would watch all in the name of homeschooling. And the amount of information we would learn form those.

15. That we would end up trying every method of homeschooling there is.

16. That I would end up planning unit studies complete with awesome field trips and activities.

17. The amount of cuddle time we would have as a family for reading.

18. The wonderful discussions the kids and I would have over lunch.

19. The way (some) family and friends would reach out to be involved with or help our homeschooling.  

*20. I never dreamed homeschooling would completely change my life, forever. And that I am truly thankful for.

List it Tuesday Link Up- Weird Unsocialized Homeschoolers:



10 comments:

  1. The way uour honeschooling would affect your family and friends and inspire them to spend more time with their own kids. The spread of inagination and creativity your kids would inspire in us all. The joy that tgat we share in being a part of your childrens learning experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Typing on your phone again, mom? ;-)
      Thanks mom!
      I love that the kids have been able to involve so many others in our journey.

      Delete
  2. I'm right there with you on trying every form of homeschooling possible. We went from school-at-home to eclectic to unschooling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to say that trying so may different methods has been fun, at times. We learned a great deal about ourselves and how each child learns best.

      Delete
  3. I am a public school teacher and mom of four. None of my kids were home schooled and now I wish I had given it more of a try. I taught my youngest son to read after his teachers at school could not. Now, I love to hear him read - his has a wonderful deep voice and hearing him read is music to my ears and can make me tear up :-) I am getting to be more and more of an advocate of good homeschooling and it sounds like you are doing a great job with your kids. Thanks for sharing and visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to agree, though my kiddos are still young, and two are still learning to read, I love hearing them read! It was/is worth the work. My 12 year old daughter is an avid reader. She devours books!
      Homeschool is very different from what many believe it to be and has come so far from what it was even just 10 years ago. Thanks for the support.

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful way to list off all the great stuff your family gets out of homeschooling. It is amazing what can happen when parents truly give time and effort to seeing their kids learn and succeed in whatever way works for them and their families.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Honestly, on our "rough" days, it helps to look back at a list like this. It reminds me why we continue with this choice!
      Good days and bad, it's all worth it!

      Delete
  5. I love your list, Amber. I feel the same emotions so often during the day. I am sorry about the bad colds. My husband woke up today sounding terrible, and he has a lot of snow to shovel in the cold at work today. Praying for him, and for your family. Moms often have a harder time getting better, after the exhausting time caring for others. Always love visiting here!

    ReplyDelete