Sunday, October 6, 2013

Learning to simply be and enjoy each moment!



"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow has enough has enough of its own worries. Today has enough trouble of its own" Matthew 6:34

“You've got this life and while you've got it, you'd better kiss like you only have one moment, try to hold someone's hand like you will never get another chance to, look into people's eyes like they're the last you'll ever see, watch someone sleeping like there's no time left, jump if you feel like jumping, run if you feel like running, play music in your head when there is none, and eat cake like it's the only one left in the world!” 

― C. JoyBell C.



After the recent medical issues this summer, I was told by my cardiologist to read a few books on relaxation and meditating. While I started and found the two books he recommend were just not for me, I did skim the books and discovered a few things that are useful. 

I am not a meditating kind of person, I just can't sit still or focus on something (or nothing in order to meditate) for more than a few minutes...ok, seconds. Which is the problem, and the reason I ended up in a cardiologist office being told to RELAX! But after skimming the books I did find that I, and most moms, are far too busy trying to keep everything in order that we do not stop and just take in and "live" in the moment. Not meaning to be careless and live moment to moment, but to actually "live" and experience each moment. 

As parents and a society as a whole, most of us spend far too much time planning for the future or living in the past that we don't focus our attention on today or right now. We spend much of our time thinking about when, what if, and someday. So much so that often we don't truly enjoy these precious moments we are given...right now! 

As parents, I think it worse. Not truly enjoying this day effects more than just us! It affects our children and spouses as well. As a mom, I know this is true for myself. I often get so caught up in trying to keep things clean, schedules on track, homeschool school lessons ready, homeschool fun club planned and active, cub scouts actives lined up, doctor and therapy appointments set and kept, household chores done, and anything else that comes up, in check according to how I think it should be done. But spending so much time and energy on everything else, drastically takes precious time away from the most important things in my life...God and my family. 

I am slowly learning, and relearning that it's ok to say no and to not pile my plate so high with commitments that I can't even breath myself. I still typically have too much going on and I still catch myself saying yes to things I shouldn't. But I am getting better, and slowly finding it easier to say no to others and yes more often here at home. And home is where the focus needs to be! 

Anyway, after skimming through the books, I have tried to make more of an effort to 
truly "be" in the moment that is now. Whether it be playing with the kids, really focusing on hubby, or spending time on myself, I'm trying to stop and put everything else out of my mind and really be there and enjoy that moment. God has given us moments we will never have again, and to think that I am not fully taking those in and seeing the blessing that they are, hurts and makes me mad. 

So, I don't have some new complicated plan to enjoy life and my family more, I am simply trying to take things as they come and actually LIVE each day and each moment one at a time! 

Life is not about tomorrow, next week, or even 5 minutes from now! Life is about right 
now, right here! No one is promised tomorrow! A lesson we all know far too well, yet forget most of the time.


“We must be willing to let go of the life we have planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us.” 
― E.M. Forster

11 comments:

  1. Excellent thoughts, Amber! Difficult, but worth the effort. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was diagnosed with cancer I remember going for my evening walk and chatting to God about how I was feeling, how scared I was and how much I wanted to stay alive for my children. I felt Him saying so clearly that I was to live for today. Only today. For it was today He had given me and I was not to concern myself with what may or may not happen tomorrow. I wanted to hear Him say He had healed me, but instead He gave me what He knew I needed rather than what I thought I needed. It was the key to true happiness. Living and experiencing each day to its fullest and being thankful for that moment. Who knows how long I have, but I know for sure I'm not wasting any of it! What a gift from God (sorry to ramble!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ramble away! I do plenty!

      Wow, what a testament to living each day!
      So glad to hear your living each day and not waiting such precious time! I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers, not just for the cancer, but for all the blessings God can give you in this life!
      We have learned this lesson many times with family members with cancer, heart issues, and organ transplants. Life is a gift. Each day is a gift!
      Thank you for sharing your story!

      We have learned this lesson many times with

      Delete
    2. You're welcome.

      Wow, just saw all my typing issues.

      Delete
  3. You know I am right there with you, girl! This is such an important lesson and one we need repeated often, before we finally get it. It's one thing to be thankful and in the moment when something in life brings us there and quite another to do it all the time without having to have some tough moment to bring us back into our appreciation. That is the trick I would love to master!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to master it too! I don't like feeling like I forget this lesson only to be reminded of it when something terrible happens.
      All we can do is take it day by day.

      Delete
  4. Words to live by! Each Day, Each Moment and each person in our lives are their for us to take in wholly and completely and to feel blessed with. It will be a daily struggle to stay on that track... I know... but it will be so worth it. We can run ourselves to death and never experience the joy and wonder of the life we live and the moments we have. Enjoy!!!!! lov ya.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't want to wake up 10, 20, or more years from now and discover I have waisted all this precious time. Luv ya too!

      Delete
  5. how often should an almost 72 year old man kiss his 69 year old wife?????and i am still laced with the old habits i picked up in a lfe time of living>><,.like yelling or irratability<><><>or when in subway my wife says to get a turkey and i want a pastrami that i didn/t know i was sharing with a two year old and so i got up in her face and said i want a pastrami<><>,.and guess what the two year old loved the pastrami but she is stilll mad i got in her face and turkey is what she wanted for me<>><<>also whenerver i get ice cream i say i want a carmal milkshake and she says no he doesn't<><>he want a chocolate but now she says i can't have any ice cream and i since when???and she says your heart, and i say my heart needs ice cream so there

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Putz, you make me laugh.
      But to answer your question, kiss your 69 year old wife lots! Everyday! (it will earn you points)
      Yelling and irritability are earned after a life time...yell away. Do remember she is only looking after your health...so you have to sneak away and enjoy your pastrami and carmel ice cream.
      And I do agree a heart always needs ice cream. (if your taking care of yourself) :-)

      Delete