This last week has been tech-free-week in our house, well for the kids anyway.
For the last 5 or 6 weeks life has taken on a few twists and turns we did not expect and so it's been a little crazy. Unfortunately, when mom gets stressed and busy the kids tend to get much more tech time than I normally allow. And in the last few weeks I noticed attitude and behavior changes. The kids have been fighting more and their attitudes towards hubby and I were not acceptable. Some are due to life changes and some due to too much time in virtual world and too little time here on planet Earth.
So since Sunday the kids have not been allowed to watch tv, play video games, or play on the computer. Yes, that means that at the moment I am the "meanest mom in the world" but oh well. They'll survive. (smile) Oh and to top it off, when they are allowed to watch tv again, the shows they are able to watch will be greatly decreased. After watching the boys last weekend get so aggressive with each other after watching Spider Man and Transformers (cartoons) I decided to nix everything that has any fighting in it. Something I've done before but sadly I allowed some back in just to keep kids busy latley when I needed a few minutes of peace.
It has been rough at times this week when the kids felt lost without some type of tech toy to occupy their time. But they have managed to find things to do to keep busy and even, dare I say, "have fun"! They have pulled out the craft stuff that before Christmas was out almost daily. They also pulled out some board games and found that even though the games didn't light up or make sounds they were just as fun to play, and much more creative. Inbetween the normal sibling tiffs they have all had fun just playing and using their imagination again. Now if I could just get hubby on board with getting rid of all tech toys and the tv, I would be one happy mama! Oh, but not my computer! Mama has to have something to keep her sane!! (wink)
Kids should be not be here too often...if at all!
This is where kids should be...outside being kids!!
And that is what we are going to work on much more!!




That's good, Amber. That's all there was back in the day. If it was good enough for us...and we turned out good, respectable citizens, then it's good enough for our kids. They'll thank you.
ReplyDeleteI think it's a great day and should do something like that myself, ha.
ReplyDelete