Monday, February 25, 2013

Cell phones...Progress or distraction?


By now the majority of people in this country, have a cell phone. Actually, when I am out it seems as though everyone has a cell phone or some kind of device. Even in church now, the pastor uses an iPad to read from his notes and many of the congregation are following along on a digital Bible. Digital devices are everywhere.

I am one of those who has and enjoys the fancy, cool, tech toys too. But often I wonder is it really helping daily life, or is it more of a distraction. And what is that distraction costing us? What are we teaching our children? Are we showing our kids that they come in second to tech time?
***

Sunday after church we had to make a quick stop at the grocery store. While in the store I noticed that so many people were on their phones. They were either talking on the phone as they shopped, or looking down at their phone as they walked nearly running into other people, or standing in the middle of an isle oblivious of others trying to navigate around them. There were so many parents on their phones while little ones repeatedly tried to talk to them.  Maybe it was just that day, but by the time I left I was so frustrated that I was ready to toss my cell phone out window on the drive home.



I do have to admit that I too have found myself  lost in digital world either on my phone or the computer and have found myself to be unaware or tuning out others around. For me this happens more at home in the morning when I am having my coffee and trying to wake up before we start our school day.

The more I think about how far we have come with technology, I find myself wondering if we are really just trading one thing for another. To me it seems at times that we are simply trading very precious time with our "real" family and friends to spend time with our "cyber" friends.



I have also noticed many, including hubby and myself, spend time together yet apart because each are on a computer, iPad, or cell phone. It defeats the purpose of being together when each it lost in digital world while physically sitting right next to each other. It makes me sad to think how much time we are losing with each other due to all the fancy gadgets and technology available to us now.

In time when we all look back and think about our life, what are we going to remember? Are we going to have fond memories of quality time with friends and family, or are we going to remember time spent on some kind of device? And which one is more important?

Now, with all that said, I do love my cell phone and computer and my time with "cyber" friends via facebook, blogger, email, or texting.  I guess the battle comes when one steps back and starts to put up limits and boundries to the virtual/digital world. I have to put devices away or turn everything off at times to keep from spending too much time away from those that are right here in the same room.

In our home, we are always fighting the technology battle. Hubby and the kids are die hard tech toy fans! Anything that lights up, plays games, or simply is the newest device or toy they all think they have to have it.  But I don't like the kids to spend much time, if any at all, on video games or in front of the tv. Yet, there are times when mom needs a break and those games or a kids tv show is about the only thing keeping my monsters sweet angels from sending me over the edge. So I allow them to have their "tech time"  as we call it, but I try to keep it limited.

*oh and I am a NO-TECH-AT-THE-TABLE mom! Meals are for family time, peroid!
Except for those family movie and pizza nights on the floor in front of the tv.

So how about you? Do you limit tech time? When and where do you limit tech time?

What bothers you the most about other people and their tech devices?

Me?
PUT   THE   PHONE   DOWN   AND   DRIVE!!!


6 comments:

  1. Good read, Amber. My question is, what is so important that it can't wait? Texting especially in a restaurant is my biggest peeve. It's sad to see a couple that could be spending quality, uninterrupted time together constantly reaching for their phone to answer a text.
    Oh Oh! and the other thing that drives me crazy is not so much tech but where some women put their phone...in their cleavage! Maybe I'm just jealous, because if I tried to put mine there it would land in my shoe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! Love the cleavage comment! I have not tried that yet. But I may just have to. Thanks for the idea.

      I always wondered why people go out to eat together yet spend the whole time on the phone or texting someone else.

      Oh, and checking Facebook or emails when they are visiting you! Ugh! Drives me nuts'

      Delete
  2. This is great. My biggest pet peeves with people and cells is DRIVING..it's just soooooo dangerous and unnecessary and talking on a cell phone in a public bathroom..that is just EWWW on so many levels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! So many people have been injured and killed because some idiot is texting or holding their phone instead of driving!

      And talking on the phone in a public restroom (or any restroom) is just rude, and gross. No one wants to hear you taking care of business.

      And I'm telling you every time I talk on my cell phone I feel like my brain is being fried!

      Delete
  3. You are so right that way too much time is wasted when people are actually with each other and they choose to tune each other out. It is sad.
    Still amazed at how many people are truly shocked when I am with them and my phone rings and I just choose to ignore it. It's like they almost feel compelled to answer it themselves.
    I feel like I have a decent handle on when to use tech and when not to. And I am so naturally opposed to being ripped off that the latest and greatest is not attractive to me at all. Never worth the price.
    The one thing that irks me the most is people who constantly check their phone or have texting conversations with someone else while they are with other people. I walk out on those types.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In church the other day, I was laughing because every few minutes you coud hear someone's phone either start to ring or vibrate. Most people turned off the phones or had them on silence and ignored the phone. But I was surprised to see and hear one man answer his phone...in service. He did walk out to talk but, wow, can't even forget the phone for an hour at church.

      And I will walk away from someone when they would obviously rather spend time on the phone.

      Delete