A new year is just hours away. As most every, year I start thinking about the year that is just about over. I think about things I want to continue in the new year and of things I would like to change.
This last year has been a rough year. We have had some unexpected health issues that have taken a toll on our whole family. We are still working through these issues but we hope to see a change soon. Even with this last year and its struggles we have learned a great deal. First, we have learned that anyone and any family can become one that is dealing with ______ (insert choice of issues or circumstances). No one is immune to struggles in life. No matter how good of a person you are, how wonderful your family is, or how well you parent. Second, we learned that in all things, family has to be a priority. When a family is divided or not connecting and communicating nothing works and no one is happy. And third, we have been reminded, again, that we must rely on God, for we simply can not do it all on our own.
We are excited to begin a new year! Just as a new day can bring hope, comfort, and renewed faith a new year brings thoughts of a new beginning just on a bigger scale. Even though it's simply a date on the calendar it gives the feeling a fresh start. And this year we are ready for a new start and more than happy to leave 2012 far behind in the dust.
2013 begins with many changes already in place for us. One of which is, after 17 years with a family owned company, hubby has (just today in fact) started a new career. Though he was nervous about such a change we are just beginning to learn what a great change this is and will be for our little family. We are all happy and excited about this change. Without boring you all with the details, one of the many wonderful perks to this career changes is that we are literally 10 minutes from his work. Work for him before was a 40-45 minute drive, each way, depending on traffic and he already worked long hours each day. Time and money (gas) savings! I'll take it!
For this coming new year many are making their New Years resolutions. I gave up making resolutions a few years back. I don't think I ever kept one for more than a few weeks. Now I make a mental promise to myself to work on something in the upcoming year. Note that I said "work on" not stop or completely fix, but to work on. To be reasonable and realistic and work hard to make positive changes but not hold myself to a standard that I know I will not keep.
This year I will be working on listening more.
The Bible verse we had just before Christmas was "Be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to anger" James 1:19-20. It fit us all at the time. I left it written on our dry erase board and after reading it day after day I began to feel like God was talking to me. Telling me to not only read the verse but to truly take it in and live it. Even in the last few days I have been making a point to stop and listen without response or comments, especially with the kids. In those times I have seen a difference. A change that is good for both myself, my kids, and my hubby. A change I want to keep working on.
*-*-*
So just for fun, what are some of the tried and failed New Year's Resolutions you have made in the past?
Me?
My favorite was the year I said I would eliminate soda,all caffeine, and all sugar from my diet. That was a laugh! I'm not sure I made it two days before I quit! No coffee, no sugar for my coffee, and no soda. What was I thinking?
Well enough of my rambling. I hope you all have a safe and wonderful New Years Eve! And I wish you all the best in 2013!!

hoping or hopeing that things always go your way and also my way, me being here in armagadon and you being there in your own little world<<><>maybe i'll go over now and tease christine
ReplyDelete